Kids Read is an award winning initiative that encourages a love of reading in children. Reading opens up a world of opportunities for children exposing them to other cultures, attitudes, and issues such as the environment. Good reading habits established early, improve later performance in a range of life skills as well as developing language and critical thinking skills.
Sponsored by HSBC Bank Middle East Ltd and Affiliates, the project is in its third consecutive year and takes place across nine countries in the Middle East and North Africa.
In Kuwait, we:
- work with children across 18 schools in six educational areas: Asema, Farwania, Hawalli, Jahra, Mubarak Al Kabeer & Ahmadi
- enhance school libraries with a collection of approximately 100 books that encourage children to move from teacher led to independent reading
- provide teacher training, lesson plans and relevant resources for teachers to use with their students both inside and the classroom
- complement existing reading programmes in schools and supporting the Ministry of Education reading programme "Today a Reader, Tomorrow a Leader"
- work with HSBC employees to equip them with the skills required to read stories to children and help them with arts and crafts activities
- hold regular community events to increase parents’ understanding of how to support their children’s reading. These events include storytelling and arts and crafts activities for the children.